Like me on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jenny-Block/118385024943309

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Arsenic and Old Lace at the Dallas Theater Center




I know I get accused of gushing. But you'll have to forgive me, because I'm about to do it again. I loved Dallas Theater Center's latest production, Arsenic and Old Lace. Loved it. It was such a thrill to see Betty Buckley and Tovah Feldshuh on stage. They were both wonderful and their chemistry on-stage together was a delight.

That's not to say that the rest of the cast was anything to sneeze at. Abbey Siegworth as Elaine and Lee Trull as Mortimer were equally fantastic. And Jason Douglass as Jonathan was too scary. Way too scary, which I guess is a good thing for a show like these. But the guy gave me nightmares!

The show is a classic. But it's easy to muck up. No risk of that here. Although, I have to admit, the second act runs a little long. More the fault of the script than of this production. Still, it would have benefited from some shortening.

The set was incredible. A entire house was built onto the stage and spins around to reveal the interior of the home, which serves a backdrop to almost the entire show. The sound design was excellent, definitely adding to the overall creepiness.

The costumes were perfection. I want to borrow the sisters' funeral outfits. I don't know where I would where them. But I would throw a party just to have the chance to don them.

Truth is, you'd be crazy not to see this show - to see Buckley and Felshuh, to see the resident and other cast members, and to have the pants scared off you old school.

No blood or gore required.

No comments:

Post a Comment